NATIONAL SERVICE SCHEME (NSS)
The motto or watchword of the national service scheme is ‘not me but you’. This expresses the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for selfless service and appreciation of the other’s man point of view and also to show consideration for fellow human beings. It underlies that the welfare of an individual is ultimately dependent on the welfare of society as a whole, therefore it should be the aim of the NSS to demonstrate this motto in its day to day program.
Education through community service and community service through education.
- To kindle the students’ social consciousness.
- To give them opportunities: –
- To work with and among
- To develop awareness and knowledge of social realities.
- To have a concern for the well-being of the community, particularly of the weaker section.
- To engage themselves in creative and constructive social work.
- To put their scholarship to practical use in mitigating at least some social problems and in promoting welfare.
- To gain skills in the exercise of democratic leadership.
- To gain skills in the programs of development for self-improvement during leisure and vacation period of National development.
- To enrich personality.
NSS in HATIM:
The NSS unit was established in Higher and Technical Institute, Mizoram (HATIM) by the 49th Council Body Meeting of the College on the 22nd August, 2016. Mr. R. Lallianzela, Asst. Professor, Department of Social Work and Mr. Benjamin Lalnunfima, Asst. Professor, Department of English were appointed as Program Officers. The programme comprises of the two units with over 100 volunteers under the supervision of one programs officer respectively.
The NSS activities are broadly categorized into two – Regular Activities (RA) and Special Camps.
1. Regular activities (RA) are the activities which are carried out throughout the year of which funds are received.
The following are the description of the Regular Activities under taken
- Voluntary Blood Donation – 13th August, 2016; 23rd and 24th January, 2017; 25th January, 2018
- Sanitation Campaigning – 20th September, 2018
- Cleanliness drive – 8th October, 2016; 4th February, 2017
- Cleaning of NGHASI RIVER, Lunglei 29th March, 2018 – organised by the Lunglei Cleanliness Task Force
2. Special Camps (SC) are specially funded activities which involves direct community participation by organising 07 days camp in the villages where certain activities are undertaken with community based on their felt needs. NSS Units HATIM had organised two special camps which are as follows:-
- Construction of Public Urinal in Pukpui Community – 25th to 31st January, 2017
- Construction of Public Urinal in Theiriat Community. – 3rd to 9th March 2017.
3. Programme Officer Training and Meeting – 10th April, 2018 at Aizawl.